Data and Science are crucial to humanity’s future
By Keith Teare • Issue #320
Deep in the heart of summer and @Om links to the 200 best dance songs of all time. I’m passing it on as a gift. And DeepMind figured out the structure of 200m human proteins. Now that really is a gift. Data and Science are crucial to humanity’s future. Deep Minds think alike is this week’s theme.
That Was The Week is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.
- 200 best dance songs — from @Om and Rolling Stone
- DeepMind uncovers the structure of 200m proteins in a scientific leap forward.
- How did this tiny startup instantly put live, moving people into a full-blown 3D landscape? — Mike Butcher
- The art of pre-seed investing, mitigating investment risk at this stage, and building processes to build a true venture platform with a lean team — Samir Kaji and Gaurav Jain
- Niche — They wanted a ‘less toxic, less problematic’ social network. So they built one.
- Sky Go Launches on Apple TV With Over 100 Live Streaming Sky Channels
- Instagram walks back its changes — by Casey Newton
- Google delays move away from cookies in Chrome to 2024
- FTC sues Meta to prevent it from acquiring VR fitness app Supernatural
- Meta’s revenue shrank for the first time in its history
- Meta begins telling its ~50 US news partners that the company will not renew its three-year deals from 2019 to pay for content in Facebook’s News Tab
- Meta’s Metaverse Division Loses $2.8 Billion in Q2
- Senate finally passes a $280 billion bill boosting chip manufacturing
- Concept Ventures rolls out a £50 million pre-seed fund to back 60 startups in the UK.
- VCs are flooded with unprecedented funds but in no rush to deploy capital —…